Everyone tells us the twins look so much alike and ask how we tell them apart. This amuses me since I think they look so clearly different. In addition to their physical differences, they are very, very, very different personality-wise.
Clay has been a snuggler since he was a month or two old. He's my little "lover boy." He was the first to start hugging and cuddling with me, and I noticed it right off the bat. I couldnt believe how sweet it was. He has continued to maintain this even now. He loves to be hugged and loved on. He is so happy when he is being held, and it has been very easy to bond with him.
On the other hand, Colt has been a little more difficult for me to bond with. He has very rarely in his 10 months, been one to cuddle with momma. He much prefers to laugh and be the funny man. He has bonded with Chris so well because Chris is also humorous in nature. These two have so much fun together, while Clay and I like to snuggle. Colt pushes me away if I try to do this too much with him. Its so hard not to though!
Just when I was starting to get a little concerned about my bond with Colt, I realized what I was doing wrong and why he wasnt bonding with me like Clay was. The problem was that I was trying to show my love for them in same way-the way that comes natural to me- which is to love on him and give lots of hugs and kisses. He was not responding well to this. After some soul searching, I realized I needed to show my love for him in the way that HE understands and communicates love, which is laughter. When I began to show him love by being silly, tickling, and making him laugh, etc, he responded to me SO much more.
My mom and I have discussed many times about how two parents can raise all their children the same, yet they grow up to be so different. In my case I've realized that even though my sons are identical twins, they are two separate human beings and that not every thing I do with one will work with the other.
Its going to be a long -and GREAT- journey, & I'm learning...
Love,
Ashley
No comments:
Post a Comment